Thursday, February 17, 2011

#44 or "Am I really that unprepared??"

#44- Make a basket weave decorated cake. 

It was high time I started trying to complete some of these little cooking things on my list.  I got the notion to bake a cake the other day, but I spent so much time looking through recipes that I ran out of time.  The next day, I woke up determined to make it happen, so right after breakfast I went to pull out the pans I was going to use.

Now let me explain something.  I enjoy baking, I have baked a fair amount in my time.  I have made a couple of wedding cakes as well.  I started looking through my pans and here is what I found: 14"square, 12" round, two 6" squares, two 6" round, two 4" squares, 10" round, 8" round.  Now I ask you, look at any random cake recipe (on the back of a cake mix even) and tell me what it calls for.  Most often it will call for two 8" rounds or two 9" rounds.  How is it, in my my time baking that I have managed to never have 2 of any of the standard sizes, let alone even one 9 incher??  I must say I am a little ashamed of myself.  This cannot continue- and as soon as I can get to a good store, I am going to remedy it! 

Due to my rather pathetic circumstances, I settled on the two 6" squares and baked a rather tasty banana cake, and did a basket weave design on it.  It turned out to be pretty easy once I got the hang of it- and I think it turned out pretty nice. 




It's funny that I would spend so much time on decorating a cake, when really, I don't even like frosting.  Oh well, I like things to look nice, it was good practice, and I enjoyed doing it.