Monday, March 17, 2008

My Grandma


My Grandma is a wonderful woman. She has always been so sweet, funny and loving. A wonderful woman with a great testimony of the gospel and a deep love for her family. I love and admire her in many ways, and am in the unfortunate position of knowing that she will not be with us much longer. She was diagnosed not too long ago with Alzheimers and has been going downhill surprisingly quickly. It is a painful experience to say goodbye to a loved one, and so I feel very blessed to know that it is not truly goodbye, but more like a "see you later". I know that she is going to a better place, a place where she can be herself again. Though she hasn't known who I am for a while, I know that it is only her physical/mortal body, and that she will be whole again.

I had a very sweet experience with her last week when I went to visit. She speaks mostly in norwegian now, with a few english words thrown in, so I don't understand what she is saying, but as I sat next to her and held her hand, she pulled me in for a hug and then lightly stroked my face while saying something I could not understand. Though I do now know what she said, I could feel the spirit of it, and I felt her love. How hard it was not to cry. I love my grandma so much, and I am grateful for her in my life.
My cousin Elise with Grandma

2 comments:

jularun7 said...

she is so wonderful ...

Stacey said...

Don't ask me why that made me cry, I don't even know her. That is very sweet that you got to have a little experience like that.