Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Finding baby clothes...

O.k.- so anyone who knows me well, also knows that I tend to come on a little strong with my opinions- so please don't take offense- it's just me- and just for this post I am going to lay it on pretty thick.

Last week was Ryan and I's 3 year anniversary, and as part of tradition we went up to the Park City Outlet stores to do some shopping- and I had one goal- to find my baby's "coming home" outfit. Out of the 5 or so baby clothing stores that we looked at- I found nothing! I found a few outfits that I liked but they didn't have it in the right size. I also found some adorable Christmas outfits, but Mina isn't likely to be born before Christmas- so that is a no go. I just wanted to find something warm and adorable- but alas I failed. Which leads me to my complaint. I don't know about the rest of the general population- but I plan on having a human baby. What I don't understand, is why the clothing manufacturers assume that I want to have a teddy bear baby. I looked at so many outfits, thinking "this is kinda cute" and then to my dismay, I lift up the hood to find ears! Ears! Why?

Here is the perfect example (I just had to search on the internet for a pic). A little sweater and then bear ears. Do animal ears may babies cuter? Am I missing something here? I can understand a costume having ears- but these were not Halloween outfits, these are just your normal daily baby-wear. No bear ears for me thank, I am having a human baby, and am content with that fact. (like I stated earlier- please don't take offense- if you want to put your baby in outfits with ears- I don't care- this is just my opinion)

So I left Park City defeated. How hard should it be to find cute baby clothes? I realize I am picky- no ears, a minimum of stupid sayings. Why does my babies shirt need to say adorable - of course she is adorable - she is a baby! I don't label myself as "pregnant" or "blonde"- it speaks for itself. I don't mind a few sayings here and there, and I would be hard pressed to find a full baby wardrobe without them- but not for the taking home outfit- and it has to be the right saying. I don't mind little boy outfits that have dinosaurs with soccer balls that say "Sportasaurus" or something like that. I even think some of the obvious sayings are cute- but they are too rampant- it seems every outfit has them. I like simplicity in clothing. I realize that I am going to get baby clothes as gifts, and hand me downs- but the "coming home" outfit if the first thing I am going to put her in- and I think I should be able to pick it. I am the mom right? I feel as though it is somewhat of a right of passage or something like that. (am I crazy?)
So I started searching online- sure there are a lot of cute little summer dresses- but I am having my baby in dead of winter- I'm looking for something to bundle her up in. I finally found one little sweater dress which I think is adorable and though it was a little pricey- I was at my wits end- so I just bought it. What do you think?

I thought it was pretty cute. Simple, sweet (not pink) and if I pair it with some cute warm leggings and a hat she will look precious! O.k.- I think I have ranted enough. Thanks for reading my little vent session. :)

6 comments:

Stacey said...

I've actually seen those at Target so I hope you didn't pay too much for it. They might not have them in new born size though. It is adorable and it has taken everything out of me to not buy one for Jules. I value your opinion on baby clothes. I really hope that you aren't totally against pink for your girl though. I wasn't a huge fan either but once you see them in pink, you will realize how adorable it really is. It doesn't mean that you are doing what every one else is doing either. It's just cute!

The Critchfields said...

I'm not totally against pink- I just know that most of what is available is pink- so that is mostly what she'll get for shower gifts and hane-me-downs from my sisters- so I don't buy much pink so I have a variety.

Briann said...

I agree! I also hate all those outfits that have winnie the pooh or other characters on it! If it's a cute little giraffe or something fine, but does it have to be a huge character???

Knudsen Family said...

I think she will look great! Yeah, there are some things I will never understand...baby clothing with ears or costumes for dogs definitely fall into that category.

The Critchfields said...

thanks for the comments guys- I appreciate your support in the matter :) Trina- I am so glad that we have each-others blog addresses now!

Elyse said...

I really like that sweater. it's adorable :)
And, hey, it's even worse trying to find boy clothes!! lol