Saturday, June 12, 2010

Book Reviews

I have kind of rediscovered reading lately.  With Ryan being so busy finishing up school, I have found it is one of the only ways to make me not feel so needy.  If I have a good book, I don't miss him as much.  I can immerse myself in the story and not think about it for a couple of hours.  It's been good for me.  I've always enjoyed reading, but it's funny how sometimes we just get lazy and turn on the t.v. when there is nothing to do.  T.V. really doesn't make me happy, it distracts Ryan, and it fries my brain cells :)  So, in the past few weeks I have read several books- I thought I would do a little segment on them!

Mansfield Park- A classic Jane Austen, and I really enjoyed it.  I unfortunately discovered through a little research that this is one of her least popular novels.  Many people don't like the main character.  They find her too strict in her beliefs.  Personally, though what is considered proper and improper is very different these days (women are allowed to act without contempt) I can respect someone who has a very true moral compass and follows it.  I really liked the book.  It is sad though, because most of the movies "based" on it are completely changed from the book, to make the main character someone she really isn't.  Too bad.

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card-  I have read a fair amount of Card in my life.  I still love Enders Game, and Enders Shadow - they are some of the best science fiction out there.  I ran across this one in the library, and thought "why not".  It was fun!  A modern sci-fi fairy tale, full of time travel, witches and love.  It is probably one of Cards better books for women, though I think a guy might enjoy it.  I recommend it!

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett - Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan, but I did like it enough to finish it.  It wasn't so bad I couldn't read.  My problem was that I couldn't accept most of the characters as they were written, I either thought they were ridiculous, or I just had no respect for them.  Then, if you really build any attachment to the characters, you are bound to be disappointed in the end.  I say read it at your own risk.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society  by Marie Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - I really enjoyed this one.  It had me from beginning to end.  It is set just after WWII and roughly covers the experience of some people during the German Occupation.  But it is not really about war, it is about the power of the human spirit (I know, cheesy).  It is a really great book- I cannot recommend it enough- I read it in 2 days (and never while Mina was awake).

The Help by Katherine Stockett - Just finished this one last night (took me 3 days).  It was a great book, heartfelt and wonderfully written.  A little bittersweet, but worth the read.  It is set in Jackson Mississippi in the 1960's, and tells the story of the relationship between white women and their black maids.  This book really made me think- it made me happy and sad.  I really wish that nobody had ever had the thought to judge someone for the color of their skin, or country of origin.  It is just sad.  We are all the same on the inside.

There- I'll be surprised if anyone reads this whole post- but it felt good to write it anyway :)

4 comments:

Jefferson said...

i'm inspired to get reading. You go girl!
Megan

The Starks Family said...

I've really gotten into reading ever since I got my Kindle last year. For once a gadget I bought that I actually use regularly and for more than 2 months. I just finished my 3rd time through Twilight and 2nd through Harry Potter. You should look into The Mortal Instruments series, loved it! Another friend recommended Vampire Academy so that is my next series. I'll let you know how that is. Oh and I did read the whole post. Jane Austen and that brit lit stuff is not my fave, but I'll look into the others you liked.

Karen said...

Jaime- I do think you would like Enchantment- and probably the Help. I will look into the Mortal Instruments series.

Melina said...

Did read the whole thing, K. When I make some time I'll have to borrow some books from ya. Thanks for the reviews!