Sunday, June 19, 2011

Swimming, the Babymoon, the Torpedo and Fathers Day!

We decided to start Mina in some swimming lessons, and after asking some opinions and looking around I went with private lessons- because at her age I don't think a group would be very productive.  Mina was really excited when I told her we were going swimming.  She loves the water, which is a big reason why I wanted to get her into lessons.
 As you can see from above she was adorable in her swimsuit, and excited to be by the pool waiting for her lesson.
 The first lesson went really well, she was smiling and listening to the teacher.
 This is Mina's first time being under water.  She wasn't too happy when she came out, but as the lesson went on she got better and better at it, and now after 4 lessons she is doing really well I think.
 She has a hard time putting her head in the water- she doesn't like water in her ears, but now she will happy put her ears in the water- yay!
This was her most recent lesson- she is actually smiling while floating by herself in the water.  Makes a mommy proud :)

Ryan and I decided a little while ago that we wanted to go on a little "Babymoon" before the baby comes and we don't get any time for just the two of us for a while.  We went to Manti, neither of us had ever been, and we had a great time.  Here are some pics of what we did :)
 Day 1- Drove down and we had a picnic at Palisade State Park (#49-Go on a picnic with Ryan).  We laid the picnic blanket right next to a really cool tree there and enjoyed the quiet breeze and just unwound for a while.
 Do you ever find yourself wishing you could have a private photographer follow you around taking pictures of everything you wanted- so you didn't end up with stuff like this?  Camera timer, one of us running- need I say more.
 Day two- Or there are the shots where you hold the camera as far away from you as possible and do a self pic :)  This was up Manti canyon at a little lake we found.  It was really pretty, and the drive was a lot of fun.  I love driving up canyons.
 Yes, I really am that pregnant!
 Then we went Golfing at the Palisade Golf Course. (#80- Go golfing-never been).
 I was pretty excited to give this silly game a try, and it turned out pretty much like I expected.  I played horribly, I laughed at myself a lot, and I got a little frustrated at times.  All in all though I had a good time, and I actually beat Ryan on one of the holes.  I think my game improved a little bit.  We'll see what happens next time.
Day 3 -Our final activity was a sealing session at the Manti temple.  This temple is really beautiful.  Ryan and I were very impressed with the attention to detail in everything.  When you see specially designed hinges on the doors you know someone really cared about what they were doing.  Obviously the early Mormon settlers really believed in what they were doing building this temple.  It was gorgeous.  It was nice to be in the temple away from the world for a little while.  Then we drove home and got to see our sweet little girl again.  It was a nice trip!  Can I just say that Manti is somewhat of a bizarre place.  Never would I expect to have VERY religious art all over a bed and breakfast, and also having hosted blessings on the food at the breakfast table. (I'm not complaining, I'm just commenting).  I also would never expect to see a stack of Book of Mormons on the entry table at a restaurant, or a large needle-point of the articles of faith hanging above the toilet at the local kitchen and home supply store.  This place is a little odd, but hey, they are proud of what they believe.  I can appreciate that.
Then a little comment on something I have decided to call The Torpedo.
I think it does kinda look like a torpedo head sticking out of my body.  I understand why every person that sees me asks me if I am due any day, if I am having twins- and sometimes even the random comment asking if I am sure if I really have as much time left as I do.  I really can't blame them.  My belly does get really, really big.  I also carry quite low.  What can I say.  It's genetics.  My weight gain is pretty normal, the baby is healthy, I'm healthy.  So bring on the next 10 weeks- and all the growth that may involve.  I'm ready!  (o.k. not really, but I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude here!)

Last, but not least I want to pay a little tribute to the fathers in my life.  To my Daddy who is the best example of hard work that I can think of.  He is incredibly smart, and an amazing learner.  He is a very sweet and understanding man whom I will never cease to call Daddy, because he is not just a father, he is my friend.
To my Father in law, who raised a wonderful man to be my husband. 
And especially to my sweet Ryan.  The father to my dear little girl, and soon to be dear little boy.  I admire your incredible ability to forgive and forget.  I love watching and listening to you play with Mina.  It warms my heart.  I love you for your hard work and determination to be the financial support to our family.  I know how seriously you take that role, and I am grateful for it.  I thank you, and I love you for all you do.
I love this man!

No comments: