Thursday, July 3, 2008

Our Trip to California

As I announced several times on my blog- we went to San Francisco last week. We stayed with Ryan's sister and brother in law (Joelle and Tyler) in Palo Alto and had a great time. I have posted a ton of pictures here- so no one can claim there is a shortage of details of our trip :) I hope you enjoy!

Everyone needs a good picture by the Golden Gate Bridge.

We went to the De Young Museum and they had a Chihuly Exhibit- Chihuly being a glass artist - here is a picture of one of the displays- pretty impressive.

Ryan and Joelle on the boat to Alcatraz.

They caught me :(
This is the lighthouse in Monterey- it was closed for the day, so this was the closest we could get.
The Beach in Monterey.
Ahhh... the Redwoods- a wonderful place.
More of the redwoods- I just love it :)
The Aquarium in Monterey is really cool- I loved it, there are so many cool fish, and sea otters, but my favorite was definately the Jelly fish- i had a hard time picking my favorite picture.
The coolest crab ever - at the Aquarium.
I think this was in Monterey- but honestly, I'm not sure.
While in Monterey driving towards the 17 miles drive- we found this cool cemetary with lots of awesome trees. I'm not sure why- but trees just make me happy- so I thought I would share.
Beautiful....just beautiful.
The day we got to Joelle and Tylers house was my birthday, and Joelle's birthday was just over a week before mine- so she had a birthday party for both of us. At first I was nervous because it was a birthday party with all of her friends, and as you all know I am a little shy, but it turned out pretty good. Everyone was very nice and social and I wasn't too uncomfortable- I actually had fun.
The Winchester House - the widow of the man who created the Winchester Rifle was a little nuts- and she had this house built- and kept building for 38 years until she died. It was pretty bizarre, so here are a few pics.
The attention to detail in this place was amazing. Who knew that a hinge on a door could be so ornate.
Sarah Winchesters favorite pattern was that of spider webs- and so there were a lot of them around the house- these were windows in the bathroom.
She also had hundreds of Tiffany Stained Glass windows- they are worth thousands. This picture doesn't really capture how pretty it was.
Ryan and I after the tour of the Winchester House.
After Alcatraz we walked over a few piers and took a tour of the U.S.S. Pampanito- a WWII Submarine. It was really neat- and really cramped- I can't imagine being stuffed in there with 80 other marines- yikes! This is a pic of Ryan and I on the submarine (with our tour guide headsets).
Ryan and Joelle checking out the map in the submarine.
The top of this ladder was blocked off- but I wanted to pretend anyways.
Big guns on the top of the Submarine.
Asian Art Museum- I love asian art and history and culture.... I thougt this shirt was beautiful- the picture isn't great- sorry.
More of the Asian Art Museum. Just a really cool carving of some deity. Most of the pictures here didn't turn out great- but it was my favorite museum that we went to (out of 3).
That is all the pictures- I hope you enjoyed. I know I did :)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Looks like you had a great time. My favorite is the picture of you where you can actually see your belly start to show. The Asian Art shirt is really pretty.

The Critchfields said...

We did have a great time, and yes I am starting to show- Crazy!

Briann said...

Looks like you had so much fun! I LOVED Winchester Mansion!