Monday, July 28, 2008

I Prefer Purple

I still haven't figured out how to get the little ultrasound print-outs that they give me at the doctors office onto the computer so I can post them here. If I had a scanner it would be pretty simple- but unfortunately I do not. So you are just going to have to deal with the verbal post with no special pictures of my little baby.
I had an unexpected ultrasound last Monday. I had been having some abdominal pain- and decided to call my doctor and they had me come in just to make sure everything was o.k.- which it was. That said, they did a full ultrasound- and the baby is looking healthy, and happy and......we were told I am having a girl!!! Now I have been a little hesitant to post this- because it was a fairly early ultrasound- I was almost 17 weeks- but they don't usually do the gender prediction until closer to 20 weeks. The ultrasound tech seems pretty sure though that it is a girl- I am so excited but insanely apprehensive because I don't want to be all set on girl and have it come out as a boy! I have done some research and found that as a general rule- they are usually about 85% accurate in thier predictions- as early as 16 weeks- which gives me a little hope- until I start thinking that 85% is close to 1 in 6 being wrong. Oh the worry :(
So- we are 85% sure that we are having a girl- which led to the posting title of I prefer purple- meaning that I am hoping to somehow avoid the impending pink explosion. I don't hate pink, I think little girls in pink are very cute- but I would hope that my daughter can wear something other then just pink. There are so many beautiful colors in the world.
Here is another thought- why does everyone assume that everything for babies has to be pastel? I just don't get it- why can't babies wear real colors? I think I am maybe a little over opinionated in this matter....so I will stop now.
Finally- we moved last weekend- it was totally exhausting and stressful but it went well, and I have to give a special thanks to all the wonderful people who helped- because I could not have done it without them- an especially big Kudos goes to my friend Megan Muhn who came 4 different times to help out with everything- what a trooper. Also thanks to my Daddy, Jeff Muhn, the Van Schelts, my sister Melina and her daughter Aija and last but not least the Hinckley's who after they helped announced that she is pregnant too- (way to make me feel lazy). Also a big thank-you to my in-laws who were great enough to get us movers to move all the furniture so we didn't break out backs or our friends backs- they are so very generous. So thank you to all of them for the amazing help.

4 comments:

Jen said...

That's so great! Ummm...I am one of those 1 out of 6 who's tech said it was a boy and my baby came out a girl. Just a heads up and FAIR warning not to believe everything you see or hear. I would request another ultrasound just in case you aren't into buying yellows and greens which may be good for your whole girls don't need to wear pink issue. But congrats...Jaime will be so jealous you got a girl first! I will tell Toria you said congrats too...if she ever gets home from Cancun in the near future.

The Critchfields said...

Thanks Jen- I remember when you had your girl. I went to your baby shower and gave you a whole set of very boyish onesies- and I remember thinking after you had her that you probably couldn't use any of them- but it seems that everything turned out o.k. for you.

Briann said...

YAY!! I am so excited for you guys! Little girls are so much fun! I was told at 15 wks we were having a girl, so I think it's pretty accurate. You have to let me know when your shower is and all the updates! I miss our conversations at work BUT love being a stay at home Mom, it's the best! Hey...any updates on Jill?

The Critchfields said...

Briann- I knew that you had your ultrasound pretty early- which is giving me hope. It is pretty quite with you gone. You, Kristina and Jenny are generally the people I talked to- and now 2 out of the 3 are gone :( Jill is doing well, Jaxson is gaining weight and looking really good, but is obviously still in the hospital- she isn't going to be back for a while.