Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I love the mountains...

#11- Take Mina on a successful camping trip.

This one requires a bit of a back story.  I grew up camping, we went at least a couple times a year, sometimes for at least a week.  I loved it, sleeping in the tent, hiking, campfires...camping with my family are some of my happiest memories.  Before kids I did take Ryan on a couple of very successful camping trips; one weekend trip up to the Mirror Lake area, and then a week long trip to Goblin Valley, Arches and Canyonlands NP.  Then we had Mina.  When she was 8 months old we attempted a 3 day trip on the east side of Timpanogos.  It was beautiful, and I loved being out in nature, but having a crawling infant camping is very difficult, and then it was cut short by one of the most violent stomach bugs I have ever had.  This really tainted my view of camping for quite a while.  I couldn't imagine ever going again.  It just seemed doomed to be miserable, which is why I made this goal.  I really wanted to conquer a camping trip with Mina.  Last weekend we did it (for the most part)!
We went down to Capitol Reef area of Utah.  It was beautiful.  I love cool weathered trees :)
We were lucky enough to go with our great friends the Knudsens, and here we are the first night at our camp site.
Our tent :)
The first day was mostly driving, and then we set up camp and made dinner (chili and dutch oven corn bread) .  Then we went to bed, and it got really, really cold!  Much colder then the weather forecast had suggested.  Honestly, it was pretty miserable, by morning everyone (except Clark, who is a human furnace) was tired and a little grumpy.  Then it started raining.  I was feeling defeated.  We got in the car to warm up and decided to drive to a place that Clark used to go to for youth conference.  He still knows the people who own it.  So we ended up in a little cabin about 20 minutes from our original camping spot.  We made breakfast and Mina happily picked dandelions on the property till she was yellow from head to toe:)
She had a blast!
We ultimately decided that we would spend our second night in the cabin - so not really camping, but still roughing it.  Then we got in the car and drove through Capitol Reef.
It was amazing!
Mina enjoyed our little hike to see the goosenecks.
I am generally not afraid of heights at all, but when I have my 2 year old with me, I am terrified of heights.  I honestly got a little dizzy looking down here, and I kept a very tight hand on Mina.
Here is Mina's smile for the camera face. hehe
I have a thing for cool trees, especially when backed by a beautiful sky.
My cute hubby, who puts up with my need to hike and camp :)
We drove through Capitol Reef and decided to keep on going to Goblin Valley.  Mina needed a nap and the hour drive was perfect for that.  Goblin Valley is perfect for kids, it is a giant playground, with no cliffs to fall off and space to run.  Mina loved it. She decided that the goblins were dogs, so here she is trying to pet this one.
Trina is a photographer, and I can't wait to see the pictures that she took on the trip. 
Hi from Goblin Valley:)
I can't say enough about all the beauty there is to see right here in Utah. Goblin Valley and Capitol Reef are both amazing, and there are so many other great places to visit.
This is where we slept the second night, and we were nice and toasty warm :)
One final pic before we hopped in the car and drove home.

No comments: