Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gut Flora

#30 - Master the art of making my own Kefir/yogurt. I’m tired of buying it.

So maybe I shouldn't have used the word "Master", but I didn't want to just say "make yogurt"- because I had already made it once and didn't like the results much.   Ryan and I drink Kefir every day.  I used to have an upset stomach a lot, and since I have been drinking Kefir it has cut-down on upset tummy incidents by at least 80% I would say.  And that is a good thing!  Other yogurts didn't seem to give me the same benefit, but Kefir has been a lifesaver- but it is kinda pricey.  On sale I can find it for $2.50 for a quart, but if not on sale it is up to $3.40 per quart.  We go through a quart every 2 days.  It was getting too expensive.  So, I decided I would give yogurt/kefir making a try.  After 3 attempts I think I have it down.   
I used plain kefir and another kind of plain yogurt as the culture - plenty of little bacteria to help my Gut Flora along. (yes gut flora, it's a technical term)  A few things I learned:
  •  Maintaining the proper temperature is more complicated then I would have thought.
  • Using a heating pad without an automatic shut off is the best way to control the temperature. But it still requires watching.
  • Using dry milk with normal milk makes a creamier, yummier texture.
  • Adding honey and a few drops of Jasmine extract is so far the best addition. 

 My set-up.  Heating pad lines pot, with a pitcher inside.  Digital probe thermometer to check the temp.

Looks lovely doesn't it?  The whey (protein) separates from the cultured milk, you can stir it back in or drain it off- the whey itself actually tastes pretty good on it's own :)  Once it is all stirred up it looks just like store bought yogurt, and tastes really good.  You should try it!

4 comments:

Melina said...

So you want to make some for me? :)

The Starks Family said...

That's pretty hard core! My sis has pretty severe IBS. She went off dairy and gluten and it helped, but not a ton. Then she tried all raw foods and her symptoms went away completely. She found some pretty creative stuff that was quite yummy. Just a thought for you. I've never tried or heard of Kefir. Is it a fancy European yogurt?

The Critchfields said...

It's basically a yogurt drink, made a little differently than yogurt, but same diff.

Knudsen Family said...

Congrats on the sign-off! That is quite the yogurt mastering contraption :). Can't wait to try some . . .