#101- Successfully start a new Thanksgiving Tradition (A Thankful Basket)
I can now consider this officially completed. Ryan and I each wrote something we were thankful for every day for 2 weeks prior to Thanksgiving, and on the morning of we read them all together. It was nice, and I think it will be even nicer when Mina gets to join in on the fun. This was one of my favorites:
My favorite of Ryans was: "I am thankful that God gives us what we need and not what we want." - well said Ryan!
Now I am going to type them all up to keep :)
We had a very nice Thanksgiving weekend. We had a Thanksgiving meal in the afternoon with my side of the family and got to see lots of family, and then we left there and flew to California to see Ryan's family, and spent the weekend there. Mina had so much fun being able to play with her cousin Ella (they are only 4 months apart), and we enjoyed good food and good family for a few days. It was really nice to get away for a few days, and it is also nice to come home and have my own bed!
I have to admit that Thanksgiving has not always been my favorite holiday. In years past I have had a bit of a bad attitude about the whole thing. I've never gotten very excited about the food, and it just seemed over done to me. Thanksgiving is really about (or at least should be about) family, and celebrating the blessings in life. I always knew that, but I didn't really act the part, if you know what I mean. Part of the reason I wanted to start the "Thankful Basket" was to really give the holiday a purpose. Yes, we call it thanksgiving, but it ends up being "Turkey Day" more often. I always ate well growing up, my mom is a great cook, and admittedly, at many Thanksgiving meals I ended up eating food I enjoyed less than I would have if I had just eaten at home. That was the beginning of my bad attitude- but I have decided a good meal isn't always one that tastes really good- it is one you eat around a table with the people you love. I have learned a few things over the past couple of years, and Thanksgiving and I are starting to get a long a little better.

No comments:
Post a Comment